Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mum's White Bread Recipe

This recipe is "from across the pond".  My good friend, Old Camp Cook,  gave me this recipe that he got from a friend over in England.  It is so simple!

12 grams of salt (1 1/2 tsp)
6 grams sugar (1 tsp)
10 grams butter/lard (1 T)
1 1/4 cup warm water
6 grams dried yeast (1 1/2 tsp)
450 grams bread flour (3 cups)

If you are using Instant Yeast (like SAF) mix the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in large bowl.  I usually add the butter to the hot water, let it melt a little and add that to the flour mixture.


Using my Kitchenaid mixer and a dough hook, I "knead" the dough for 8 minutes until it pulls away from the side of the bowl as shown below:


Remove the dough from the dough hook.  I grease a bowl to let the dough rise in - cover the bowl with saran wrap and let it rise for about 1 1/2 hours.  The second rising is when you shape the dough to fit into a bread loaf pan.  Let it rise another 1 1/2 hours.  Bake the loaf for 25 minutes in a 375 oven.

I was concerned at the first rising.  Seemed really slow, but then the house is rather cool so that could be the culprit.  I put it in a standard bread loaf for the second rising - OH MY!  The bread took off!   I do love it when I bake bread - just love the way the house smells - YUM!  warm bread!  The hardest part is waiting for it to cool.

The bread is really good.  A thin crust and the crumb is very nice.  This is definitely a keeper recipe.  It only makes one loaf.




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful bread!I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and your tips are really helpful.If you won't mind, I'd love to guide foodista readers to your site.Just add your choice of Foodista widget at the end of this blog post and you're all set. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I added the widget. I hope you enjoy my blog!

    ReplyDelete