Thursday, February 18, 2010

Why do I bake?

My husband commented the other day how boring it must be to stay at home and bake muffins!  I guess to a man, baking would seem boring.

Why do I bake?  Is it because I get bored and baking fills the time? No, because I have plenty of things to do if I weren't baking.  I enjoy baking.  I must have been a mad scientist in my former life.  I love trying new recipes, new foods, etc.   To me baking is very relaxing and also very creative. You take a egg, mix it with flour, sugar and butter and you have a delicious cookie or cake.  Granted it is not the most glamorous job and, it certainly doesn't pay much!  But think of all the wonderful things you can make!  The nice thing about baking is that you know exactly how it is made and what ingredients were used.  Homemade is so much better than store bought!

Go into any bookstore and look at the cookbook shelves!  So many cookbooks, so little time!  I cheat - I see a cookbook I am interested in - I go to the library and borrow the book.  If I like, I then buy it ( usually on eBay or Half.com).  If I don't like, nothing lost - just return it to the library and get another cookbook.

Someday after we win the lottery, I would love to build a commercial kitchen and get a professional bakery license.  Someday is far away right now, but someday . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment