Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Rye Sourdough Starter!

Today I am trying a new adventure!  I have the best recipe for a Sourdough Rye Bread (thank you very much Old Camp Cook!).  And, thank you again Old Camp Cook for sharing the Sourdough Rye starter with me.  I found a recipe for making your own sourdough rye starter - how exciting is that! (I know . . . I need to get a life!).  This is one of those recipes tucked in that folder that I printed off the Internet many moons ago from some web page I have long forgotten.  If I remember, I promise I will give the person credit for this fine recipe! 

This recipe is very versatile - you can use it to make a white flour starter, whole wheat flour starter or rye starter.  In this "adventure", I am going to make rye.  Maybe in some later "adventure", we will make a whole wheat starter (don't want too much excitement in one day!).

1/4 cup rye flour
1/4 cup bread flour (do not use all purpose flour)
1/2 cup apple cider or pineapple juice (I used apple cider)

Mix all 3 together in a mason jar.  That's it (well, for today).  This is a several step process.  This is officially "Day 1"

"Day 2" is just as exciting.  All you do is stir it!

"Day 3" gets a little more intense!  Pour half of your starter off (probably best in a baggie - this will be like paste and could clog your drains).  Add 1/4 cup rye flour, 1/4 cup bread flour and 1/2 cup apple cider or pineapple juice (stick with the liquid you started with - don't change) - mix together so they are blended.

"Day 4"  will just be a repeat of "Day 3"

"Days 5 -14" gets more exciting.  Now you don't need juice any more.  I guess our starter has grown up.  Pour off half of your starter (don't forget the baggie!) Use 1/2 cup water (some "experts" say don't use tap water, while others say you can - I use tap water without any problems).  Here is where the decision making comes in - do I want a white flour starter, whole wheat starter or rye starter.  The answer is RYE STARTER (if you picked C - you win!).   So you will add 1/2 cup rye flour - mix until blended.

At this stage, the starter should be very active and be ready for bread.  So, hopefully, in 14 days from now we will have Sour Rye bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment