Thursday, September 29, 2011

Tomatoes and Peppers, Oh my!

This has absolutely nothing to do with baking, so if you are looking for a recipe, I guess you should stop reading.

I am just feeling a little nostaligic.  The weatherman is forecasting a possible frost this weekend which could mean an end to all the wonderful vegetables we have come to enjoy this summer.   As you all probably know that I spend many of my weekends selling at the various local farmers' markets and I have met so many wonderful friends in the farmers that sell there.  This impending frost not only means the end of wonderful produce but also means not seeing my friends again until next Spring.  Yes, there is email and Facebook, but it really is not the same.

Anyway, back to the wonderful produce . . . today as I was making my salad for lunch I was thinking of the produce I used to make my salad.  Lettuce . . . not just ordinary iceberg lettuce, but a variety of oak leaf, a pretty green lettuce moddled with some red in it, and a red ruffled lettuce - oh so pretty.  Peppers - yellow sweet banana peppers, looked so nice in contrast to the lettuce.  White carrots from my garden - yes, I actually grew carrots!!  Tomatoes, my absolutely favorite - roma tomatoes.  I don't know what it is about roma tomatoes, but I can't get enough of them!  And there is so much you can do with romas!!  Oh, don't get me started.  And I topped it all off with my homemade goat cheese.  Couldn't have bought a better salad than this in New York!! (Of course, I have never eaten in New York, so that is really a false claim - it just sounded good!)

While you have the chance, I hope you enjoy the wonderful produce that is still available - you won't regret it!  Go visit a local farmer's market, meet the farmers, and buy the wonderful produce because it won't be around much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment