Monday, April 10, 2017

Goat's Milk Kefir Cheese



A customer of mine introduced me to kefir last year.  Though I am not a big fan of drinking it straight, I did find many different uses for it.  One of my favorite uses is to make kefir cheese.  Of course, the only available milk I have available to me (and it is free!) is goat's milk.   Pictured above are kefir grains.

For those of you who are not familiar with making kefir.   It is pretty simple.  I put the grains in a quart size mason jar, pour fresh milk (in my case) goat's milk over the top of the grains and let the milk "ferment" for a day or so at room temperature (not in the refrigerator.  When the grains come floating to the top, it is time to pour off the milk into a large container, straining off the grains. to start the process over again.

To make the cheese, I found this "nifty" greek yogurt maker on Amazon and it works great for making the kefir cheese.  I use a half gallon of milk.  Unfortunately, it only makes about 4 ounces of cheese :-(


I store this in the refrigerator while the whey is draining from the kefir.  

The cheese tastes very similar to sour cream.


I used it last night on a baked potato and it was really good!  I imagine on a bagel it would be great!

There are several good places you can find kefir grains - Culture for Health, the CheesemakerAmazon and you can't forget eBay!

ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment