Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Homemade Vanilla Extract

Baking is only as good as the ingredients as you use.  A lot of time our budgets just don't allow us to buy the best so we have to compromise.  I hate buying imitiation vanilla extract - it just isn't quite the same as the "real" stuff.  A fellow bread baker shared this recipe for true vanilla extract and I haven't looked back since.  Who would have known it was so easy to make!  Of course, I have to explain to my husband why he comes home to find a half empty bottle of vodka on the kitchen counter!

Homemade Vanilla Extract

2 cups Vodka (I buy the cheap stuff from Walmart)
5 to 6 vanilla beans

Split the vanilla beans in half and cut in 1 inch lengths.
Put vanilla beans and Vodka into a glass container (I use a quart mason jar with a secure lid) that will hold 2 cups.

Put the container into a dark location.
Shake the container periodically, every day or so.
Mark a calendar or label the jar with the date it was prepared.
The vanilla flavoring should be ready in 6 (six) weeks from the day it is started.

After the first batch is finished, pour it into smaller bottles, as desired, and pour 2 cups of Vodka in the
original container and let it set 6 (six) weeks. This will make a second batch of flavoring.

When you reach the point where the beans will not color the Vodka in the prescribed time, start over with new beans.

I get my vanilla beans from a seller on eBay called VanillaProducts. I am not affiliated with this individual - they have a great product and offer great services.

You can do the same with Cinnamon sticks and get a cinnamon extract.

2 comments:

  1. I love vanilla extract and use it all the time in my cake recipes. There is nothing like the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make homemade ice cream,too, and you can tell the difference between ice cream made with the real stuff and the imitiation. No comparison between the two.

    ReplyDelete