Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pineapple Sourdough Starter

I don't know if you remember back in June I experimented with creating a sourdough starter using pineapple juice.  I have been feeding the starter on and off during the summer (when I haven't feed it, it has been living in my refrigerator - be sure to label it as sourdough starter because someone might think it is a nasty "science experiment" and throw it out - trust me - I know!). 

For some reason, Fall makes me feel like baking bread, so I brought the pineapple starter out of hibernation and started feeding it.  Usually it takes a day or two to get the starter active again.  When you take the starter out, there is usually a brown/grayish liquid on top, this is call hooch.  Don't pour it off - just stir it back in.  The starter will also be very thick.  Don't worry - that is normal.  Below is a picture of the starter after it has been feed a few times.  Feeding a starter consists of 4 T flour and 3 T water.
See all the bubbles!  This starter is alive and kicking!  And it should have a strong yeasty or beer smell.  So today I am making Bob's Basic Sourdough Bread.  I believe that recipe is in the archives.  I will take pictures of the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment