Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Congo Brownies


I have no clue where the name for these brownies came from.  Certainly brings up images of Africa and you would think these would have some wild, exotic taste.  Sorry to disappoint you, but they are basically just chocolate chip brownies.  BUT, what chocolate chip brownies!!  These have to be the BEST chocolate chip brownies you will ever have tasted!

I believe I got this recipe from the Bakerella website.  Her recipe calls for using the regular chocolate chips.  I use the mini chocolate chips.  My family likes my version better.  Try them both ways - make a batch using the regular chocolate chips and another using the mini and see which one you prefer - it doesn't affect the taste at all.  For a variation, substitute either the butterscotch or peanut butter chips - YUM!!

The recipe states that you need to hand mix this.  I have never used my Kitchen Aid mixer for it.  Can't see how that would make any difference.  Someday I will throw caution to the wind and make the brownies with a mixer and see what happens!  Anyway, here is the recipe . . .

Congo Brownies
2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter, softened (I always use unsalted!)
1 lb. light brown sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
11.5 ounce package milk chocolate chips (See note above!)
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.

Stir brown sugar into softened (not melted) butter in another large bowl until butter disappears. You can use the back of your spoon to help incorporate the two together. - (I always use a fork, helps to mash eveything together better).

Add eggs one at a time to butter mixture and stir well after each egg.

Add vanilla, chocolate chips and nuts. Mix well.

Add dry flour mixture and stir until well combined.

Coat a 13 X 9 pan with non-stick spray and spread batter evenly into dish.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Make sure you don’t over bake.

Enjoy!!  Really good with a scoop of ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment