Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Garlic Pizza Dough

Yesterday, while searching for another file on my computer, I came across this file - Garlic Pizza Dough.  Mmmm, where did this come from??  Pizza sounds good for dinner and I do have to go to the store today so I can pick up the necessary ingredients to make pizza.

The recipe makes two large pizza crusts.  Since there are only 3 of us, I cut the recipe in half.  I also added some fresh chopped oregano to the dough.  The recipe below is the full recipe, not halved.

Garlic Pizza Dough

2 pkg. yeast (I use 2 T. of bulk yeast)
2 c  water (90 degrees)
2 T white. sugar
1/2 c oil (I used olive oil)
1 tsp. salt
5 1/2 - 6 cups flour
3 cloves crushed garlic

Dissolve yeast in water and add sugar.. wait a few minutes.. add oil and salt and garlic .. add 3 cups flour and mix for about 10 minutes until the dough leaves the sides of the mixer bowl.. add remaining flour and mix with a dough hook or by hand.  NOTE:   the green specks in the dough is chopped up oregano


allow to rise twice in the bowl.. punch down.. (this rises fairly quickly - about a half an hour for each rising)
Spray Pam on 2 baking sheets ..using your fingers press the dough out to edges.. Makes 2 pizzas, cookie sheet size, let rise a bit and top with your favorite toppings (cheese, pepperoni, etc.) .. bake at 425* 20 min..

Since this was a spur of the moment pizza, I cheated and used Ragu Pizza sauce.  Next time, I promise I will find a homemade pizza sauce!!  For the cheese, I used a package of Italian Blend cheese and, obviously, topped it off with pepperoni. 

NOTES

I loved the feel of this dough.  As you all know, I bake bread and love the feel of bread dough.  This dough has a really nice feel to it.  To me, that means it is going to be good!

The garlic in the dough is not overpowering.  You don't come away with garlic breath (whew!!)  Was afraid my husband and I might have to sleep in two separate rooms!

The critics, my husband and son, both loved the pizza.  Said it tasted like what you find in a pizza restaurant.  So this is defnitely a keeper recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment