Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Autumn Porch Bread

Now doesn't this sound interesting!!  I found this recipe from Northwest Sourdough - I believe her blog is called Discovering Sourdough (I will have to check on that).

The idea behind the bread is that you let it rise or proof on your porch in the Autumn.  Unfortunately, we are in January and the temperatures outside are in the 20's.  PLUS I live out in the country and if I put dough outside for it to proof, our raccoons would have a field day.  So I guess we could rename this bread Winter Indoor bread or something more romantic.  I ramble on too much!!

This bread takes 3 days to make.  I know BUT it makes fantastic bread - trust me it is worth it.  I made it last weekend and it was wonderful BUT I want to try something different.  She bakes the loaves for the first 20 minutes under a roasting pan lid to steam the bread.  I want to try it the way I steam bread by placing a pan of boiling water in the bottom of the oven.  This is our adventure!

OK, arm your mixers and let's get started.  This is what I did last night.  You will create a BIGA (i.e., a sponge) using your favorite active sourdough starter:

BIGA Ingredients
8.5 oz. or 241 grams of vigorous starter
7.5 oz or 212 grams of water (I used room temperature)
14 oz or 396 grams bread flour
3 oz or 85 grams whole wheat flour

Mix all ingredients together in a container.  Cover with saran wrap and put on your porch (OK - since it is winter I left out on my counter) overnight for 14 hours.

This is what you should have in the morning.


In the morning, you will mix together.  You need a big mixer for this.  It really put my KitchenAid Mixer to the test (poor baby!!).  This is also very sticky dough   . , ,

All of your BIGA (approximately 2 pounds)
1 lb 12 oz or 793 grams of water (again at room temperatute)
2 lbs 5 oz 0r 1048 grams bread flour
1.2 oz or 34 grams salt.

Put the dough in a large greased or oiled container.  Cover the container with saran wrap - leave the container on your counter at room temperature.   Fold the dough 4 or 5 times over the next 5 hours.  Folding means exacting like it sounds - you fold the dough over like a piece of paper one end over another.



After 5 hours, you want to chill the dough for 2 to 3 hours before shaping.  Preshape the dough into rounds and let the dough rest on your counter for 20 minutes.

Round up the dough and place in bannetons (or round baskets).  Cover with plastic bags and let set overnight in your refrigerators.

Tomorrow, we will take the loaves out of the refrigerator one at a time at 30 minute intervals.  Let proof until ready to bake.  Be sure to slash the tops of the loaves before you bake.  I put my bread on a peel (you can find these at most baking supplies shops and I know Amazon carries them - very inexpensive!).



Bake at 450 degrees in a preheated oven with a baking stone.  For the first 20 minutes, she sprays the dough with water and covers it with a roasting pan, then she bakes it for an additional 20 to 25 minutes uncovered.  I am not going to do this (you can if you want to try it).  I am going to place a metal broiler pan on the bottom rack of the oven filled with boiling water.  Total baking time is between 40 and 45 minutes.  Let cool on a rack.

And here is the bread . . .

Isn't that pretty!!  Now the hard part - waiting for it to cool!  Enjoy!!

Another view!! And boy it is good!!  This makes 3 loaves!!

No comments:

Post a Comment