Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Goat Cheese and Asparagus Pizza

Now does that sound interesting?  And it was!!  OH MY!!  It made a really colorful, pretty pizza.  Sorry I do not have any pictures because we ate it all - it was THAT good!!!

I adapted this recipe from the "Local Cook" blog.  Her recipe called for using pesto sauce - my husband is not a big fan of pesto. so I substituted tomato sauce instead.  I think next time I will use pizza sauce - the tomato sauce was good, but it didn't add enough flavor.

For the crust, I used my garlic pizza dough recipe, but omitted the garlic.  Here is a link to the recipe:

Garlic Pizza Dough Recipe

The recipe will make two pizzas, so for this recipe, just use half of everything.

Now for the good part - the toppings - YUM!!!

Fortunately, our asparagus garden is having a banner year!!  We are overwhelmed with asparagus.  So this recipe could not have come at a better time.  In the Local Cook recipe, she just  breaks the asparagus into one inch pieces and places them on top of the dough (after you have spread the sauce or pesto). 

I decided to steam the asparagus for 5 minutes to soften them up a bit and that worked out PEFECTLY!!!  I did cut them into one inch pieces. 

I also added a package of precooked, cubed ham and dotted all of this with homemade goat cheese.  Of course, if you don't have your own goats and don't make your own goat cheese, store bought will work just fine!!  The Local Cook put chopped pepperoni on her pizza.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake for 20 minutes. 

Enjoy!!  YUM!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment