Monday, August 26, 2013

Sourdough Whole Wheat Noodles

I have been looking for a good whole wheat noodle recipe for years.  I stumbled upon this recipe this weekend and thought I would give it a try.  I found this recipe on the Simply Homemaking Blog.  It sounded good and so much better than the other recipes I have tried.  The others turned out very dry and quite tasteless.  So, keeping my fingers crossed, here's hoping this is a good recipe.

Sourdough Whole Wheat Noodles

1/2 cup Sourdough Starter*
3 eggs
1 1/2 whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp salt (I omitted this)

In a medium bowl, mix the sourdough starter, 3 eggs and whole wheat flour (and salt if you add it).  It might seem a little dry, so you will probably have to knead it with your hands.

Cover the bowl with Saran Wrap and let it rest for 6 to 8 hours.  She did this the night before.  I am doing this the first thing in the morning and will make the noodles later on this afternoon. - so stay tune for my progress!

*If you don't have a sourdough starter, here is a link from my blog on how to start one:


Or you can email me and I can send you a dry starter.  My email address is OHGoats@aol.com

After 6 to 8 hours, your dough should look something like this:

Flour a flat surface and scrap the dough from the bowl onto the surface.  This will be sticky so don't be alarmed!  Knead the dough into the flour until it is not sticky.  Divide the dough into 8 equal parts and cover with Saran Wrap to prevent the dough from drying out..
If you have a pasta machine**, you can roll out the dough and cut it.  If you don't, dust a flat surface again with flour, roll out the dough with a rolling pin until you have the desired thickness.  Using a ruler and a pizza cutter, cut your noodles.

(**You can find very nice, inexpensive pasta machines on eBay.)

You can either cook the noodles now in boiling hot warm or, as I did, I let them dry so I could use them for dinner.

I found this pasta rack on eBay - very inexpensive.

Verdict on the noodles.  They were GREAT!!  My husband loved them.  They weren't starchy - very nice texture and taste.  Definitely a keeper recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment