Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Shrimp with Tomatoes, Onions,and Peppers or Gamberi con Pomodori, Cipolle e Peperoni


I am on an Italian kick lately because we had another Italian dinner last night.  I wasn't too sure about the recipe because she didn't use any spices other than salt and pepper.  I was half tempted to throw in some oregano or even a little bit of parsley but thought I would try it just as the author wrote it.  If I didn't like it, adjustments could be made the second time around.

The recipe comes the Betty L. Torre's book, The Complete Beginner's Guide to Everyday Italian Cooking.  It was a very easy meal to prepare, the most work you did is chopping all the veggies!!  Oh yes, I forgot, removing the shells off the shrimps - LOL!!

Ingredients:

1 pound shrimp - either fresh or frozen (if frozen, let it thaw out)
2 T olive oil
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped  (I used red onions since that is all I had)
2 medium green peppers, cored, seeded and chopped (my husband doesn't like green peppers - so I used the red peppers instead).
3 tomatoes or 1/2 cup tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Remove the shell from the tails of all the shrimp.
Heat the olive oil in a medium size pan.
Saute the onions and peppers, stirring occasionally, until done - roughly about 10 minutes.  Looks kind of pretty with the red peppers and red onions  and smells oh so lovely!!

Add the tomatoes or tomato sauce to the onion/pepper mixture and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally

Add the shrimp.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.

I served this over rice - ah yes - oh so good!!!

VERDICT:

This was very good.  Both my husband and I loved it.  As I said above, I was pleasantly surprised because she didn't use any spices and I was afraid this might be too bland.  But, it was really good.  Definitely a keeper recipe.  Very easy to make and not that expensive.  I bought the frozen medium size shrimp at our local Krogers.  It was $9.99 for 1 pound.  

Entire Recipe:

Shrimp with Tomatoes, Onions and Peppers

Ingredients:

1 pound shrimp - either fresh or frozen (if frozen, let it thaw out)
2 T olive oil
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
2 medium green peppers, cored, seeded and chopped
3 tomatoes or 1/2 cup tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Remove the shell from the tails of all the shrimp.
Heat the olive oil in a medium size pan.
Saute the onions and peppers, stirring occasionally, until done - roughly about 10 minutes.
Add the tomatoes or tomato sauce to the onion/pepper mixture and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the shrimp.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment