Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Sausage., Summer Squash and Pasta Skillet Dinner

This is what we had for dinner last night and, boy, was it good!!  PLUS it was super easy to make!!  I found this recipe in the current issue of Cook's Country.  I did have to improvise on the pasta - the recipe calls for zita, I couldn't find that in our local Kroger's, so I used rigatoni instead.  Also, I didn't use as much as the recipe called for. Sometimes these pasta recipes have way too much pasta.

Anyway . . . here is the recipe

Ingredients

12 ounces mild italian sausage - casings removed and sausage broken into 1 inch pieces
1 pound yellow summer squash (fresh picked from my garden!!)
1 can of chicken broth
1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
12 ounces of ziti pasta ** (I used rigatoni and only used about 10 1/2 ounces)
1 cup Parmesan cheese
fresh basil chopped

Directions

Cook the sausage in large skillet until no longer pink.
Cut the summer squash in half lengthwise and slice.  Some of the bigger slices, I quartered.

Add the squash to the sausage and cook for an additional 5 minutes.

Add the broth, tomatoes with their juice, and the pasta.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until the pasta is al dente.

Remove the pan from the heat.  Stir in 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese.  Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with the remaining Parmesan cheese and sprinkle with basil.

Enjoy!!!

VERDICT:

This is definitely a winner!!  Both my husband and I loved it.  And it is so easy to make.  Yep, we are going to have this one again!




No comments:

Post a Comment