Thursday, October 16, 2014

Cream of Pumpkin Soup

I found this recipe in the book, The Book of Yogurt by Sonia Uvezian. What a perfect recipe for fall  particularly with the abundance of pumpkins EVERYWHERE!!  Though you probably want to use one of the "pie pumpkins" for this recipe.

The hardest part of this recipe is "dismantling" the pumpkin - removing the seeds, removing the skin and chopping it up into small pieces.  Fortunately, the rest of the recipe is pretty easy!  The only ingredients that you might need to buy (besides the pumpkin) is plain yogurt and half and half.  

Cream of Pumpkin Soup

Ingredients

2 T Butter
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
2 lbs pumpkin, peeled and chopped in small pieces
1 quart chicken broth (or 2 cans of chicken broth)
1 bay leaf
1/2 t dried thyme
1 cup half and half (I didn't have it - so I used milk instead)
1 cup plain yogurt
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup dry sherry or dry vermouth
1/4 c chopped chives (optional)



In a stock pot, melt the butter and add the onions.   Saute the onions until a golden brown.

Add the pumpkin, chicken broth, bay leaf and thyme.  Let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft.

Remove the bay leaf.  Puree the pumpkin mixture in a blender.

Pour the pumpkin puree back into the stock pot, add the yogurt and half and half (or milk in my case).  Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.  Stir in the sherry or vermouth.


Ladle into individual bowls and top with chopped chives if you wish.

Verdict

Both my husband and I thought this was way too watery.  It tasted good but we both prefer a "thicker" soup.  I think next time, if I make it, I might eliminate the half and half/milk.  Will I make this again - maybe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment