Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Amish White Bread



OH MY is this the best bread EVER!!  I found this recipe on the Facebook group, Cast Iron Cooking and my life has never been the same since!  This bread is do die for - it is that good!!  AND it is so easy to make!   You don't need a bread machine - it does help, though, to have a stand mixer just to get the bread started.

According to the recipe, the author is a Clara S. Yoder (sounds Amish to me!).    The recipe makes two loaves or you can do as I did, make one loaf and a pan of rolls.  Someone on the group also make hamburger buns using the recipe!!  I will have to try that next.  I bet the buns are wonderful!!

Sigh . . . I digress . . . onto the recipe.  The only ingredient that you might need is bread flour which you can get at any grocery store or Walmart.

Amish White Bread

Ingredients:

2 c warm water
1 1/2 T yeast (or 2 packets of yeast)
2/3 c sugar
4 T oil (I used olive oil but any vegetable oil will do)
1 1/2 tsp salt (I omitted this - I don't do salt)
5 to 6 cup bread flour (if using Gold Medal Bread flour, only use 5 1/2 cups)

Directions:

Mix the water, yeast and sugar together until the yeast is dissolved.  Let sit for about 5 minutes - the yeast should start foaming or fermenting.
Add the salt (if using) and the oil.
Work in the flour 2 cups at a time.
Remove the dough from the mixing bowl after using all the flour.
Knead the dough until smooth.
Grease a bowl and add the dough.  Cover with saran wrap and a dish towel.
Let rise in a warm spot for an hour (I always use my oven with the oven light on) - until the dough doubles in size.
Knead the dough again and form into loaves or rolls.  Let rise again for 1/2 hour.
Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
Baste with butter.
Enjoy!!

2 comments: