Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Spaghetti Pie

Last night was one of those nights where I had no clue what I was going to make for dinner.  I walked into my kitchen and nothing seem appealing - do you ever have one of those days (months???).  So I picked up my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  It opened to this page and at the very top was a recipe for Spaghetti Pie.  Now that sounded interesting and, as luck would have, it I had most of the ingredients.  Once again dinner was saved and my family would not have to eat a bowl of cereal for dinner!

Spaghetti Pie by Better Homes and Gardens

Ingredients:

4 ounces spaghetti
1 beaten egg
1/3 c grated Parmesan Cheese
1 T butter
1 c cottage cheese (I used small curd - not sure that made any difference)
1/2 lb ground beef (or Italian sausage)
1/2 c chopped onion
1/4 c chopped and seeded green pepper (I didn't have that so I omitted)
3/4 c your favorite spaghetti sauce
1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350
For the crust, cook the spaghetti per the directions on the box.  Drain.
In a separate bowl, add the egg, Parmesan cheese and butter.  Mix in the hot spaghetti.
Spread this evenly around the bottom and the sides of a 9 inch pie plate.
Drain the cottage cheese.  Mix the egg with the drained cottage cheese and spread over the spaghetti crust.
In a skillet, cook the meat, onions and pepper.  Drain off any fat.  Stir in the spaghetti sauce.
Spoon over the cottage cheese mix.
Bake for 20 minutes. 
Remove from the oven and sprinkle the cheese over the top of the pie.
Bake about 5 minutes for or until the cheese melts and crust sets. 
Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.

ENJOY!!

Comment:

This was really good!!  I served homemade bread sticks with this, though I think a salad would have been a better choice.  My husband loved it.  Definitely a keeper recipe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment