Sunday, March 11, 2018

Minestrone Soup

Cooking for one has become my new "adventure."  All the recipes I see usually make servings for 4 or more.  Of course, that is why they invented the freezer!!    Also, my son and his girlfriend have enjoyed "the extras."

With Bobby being gone, I am not that motivated to do much cooking and baking anymore.  He loved to eat and I loved baking and cooking for him.

I have been making a lot of soups.  Soups cover a lot of ground - you have your veggies, rice or pasta, and sometimes meat or chicken.  So it has to be healthy.  And soup usually freezes well!!

I made this soup a couple of months ago before he died and he loved it.  It is so easy to make and I had most of the ingredients.  The hardest part is chopping all the veggies.   So soup it was for dinner last night!!

I watch alot of the PBS CreateTV  shows(I do not have cable) and I found Ellie Krieger.  She was demonstrating this soup and it looked good.   As I said I had most of the ingredients, I will ** where I substituted.

Ellie Krieger's Homemade Minestrone Soup
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil 
1 large onion, diced 
2 ribs celery, diced 
1 large carrot, scrubbed well, then diced 
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced**I didn't have a pepper, so I omitted 
1 medium zucchini (about 8 ounces), diced 
4 cloves garlic, minced 
1 teaspoon dried oregano 
1 teaspoon dried basil 
1 teaspoon kosher salt ** I omitted because I am pre-diabetic 
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
28 ounces canned, no-salt-added crushed tomatoes 
48 ounces (6 cups) no-salt-added vegetable broth or chicken broth 
15 ounces canned, no-salt-added small red beans, drained and rinsed** I didn't have red beans, so I used Great Northern Beans 
1/2 cup dried, whole-grain elbow pasta 
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for garnish** I just had plain ole Parmesan Cheese
Directions
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heats, add the onion, celery, carrot and bell pepper; cook for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften.

Add the zucchini, garlic, oregano, basil, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. 

Add the tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. 
Partially cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice, then add the beans and pasta.

Uncover; increase the heat to medium-high just long enough to return the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, until the pasta and vegetables are tender.

Ladle the soup into individual bowls and sprinkle the cheese on top!

ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment