Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Cornbread Muffins - YUM!!

As Hurricane Sandy edged into the Ohio Valley bringing with her cold air and rain, it was the PERFECT evening to stay huddled inside with a bowl of hot soup and watch TV.  Before I go any further, would you please take a moment and remember our friends on the East Coast who have had their lives dramatically changed by this Superstorm.  If you pray, please say a prayer for them as I think they are going to need a lot of prayers.  My son is stationed on East Coast and Thank God he is OK!

I found a recipe for Swedish Split Pea Soup - hmmm never REALLY thought of Split Pea Soup as being Swedish but what do I know??  BUT, this is not about the soup!!  Normally, I would make grilled cheese sandwiches to "compliment" the soup.  But I wasn't in the "grilled cheese" mood!  You know what I mean!!  Then I remembered the cookbook I bought just last week  - The Complete Magnolia Bakery by Allysa Torey and Jennifer Appel (I am not promoting this book nor do I get any compensation for mentioning this book!).  The very first recipe in the book is called Corn Muffins.  I think the title is misleading because when I first saw that, I assumed that it meant Corn like corn on the cob - HA! silly me!  Well, duh - corn meal like cornbread.  So that is why I titled this Cornbread Muffins!!

OK, so now that we got that straight onto the ACTUAL recipe!!

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 T baking powder
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease well 9 cups of a 12 cup muffin tin (I put in cupcake liners - BIG mistake - they stuck to the muffin!! DO NOT USE CUPCAKE LINERS!!)
In a larger bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, making a well in the center.
Mix the liquid ingredients separately.

And add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients until just combined, being careful not to over mix.  The batter will be very lumpy.

Fill the muffin cups about 3/4 full.  Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until lightly golden or a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out with moist crumbs attached.  Do not overbake!

These were a defnitely winner!  My husband ate 2 when he came home from work!! 

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment