Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Crockpot Bean Soup

The one thing I love about the cold weather is all the wonderful and delicious soups!  Homemade soups are a whole meal in a bowl!!  And they are usually so easy to make!!  PLUS they make your house smell WONDERFUL!!

I found this recipe on the "Just A Pinch" website and made a few changes - don't I always!!  I will note the changes with (**).


Crockpot Bean Soup

Ingredients

1 pkg diced ham (**the recipe calls for sliced polish kielbasa - we didn't like the soup with the sausage - the ham tastes better - your choice)
1 medium sliced and chopped onion
3 cans beans - I used 2 cans Great Northern Beans and 1 can Red Kidney beans - this worked out really well in the soup - you can use any 3 type of beans that you like
1 T brown or spicy mustard
1 T apple cider vinegar
salt, pepper and a dash of garlic powder

Directions:

Add the 3 cans of beans with their liquids to the crockpot.
Mix in the chopped onion and stir to combine.
Add the tablespoon of mustard, apple cider vinegar and spices - stir to combine.
Add enough water to make a "stew" but not enough to cover all the ingredients.
Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4.

This is great with homemade biscuits or a grilled cheese sandwich.  Perfect for those cold, wintry nights!!

Verdict:

This is a winner in our household.  I have made this several times and my husband keeps eating it (and doesn't complain when I mention that I am making it for dinner) - so I know he likes it.  And it is super easy to make!!

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment