Friday, February 6, 2015

Fannie Farmer's Rich Winter Squash Pie

I should never go to the grocery store when I have a lot of time on my hands as I always come out with more in my shopping cart than what was on my grocery list!! 

I was in the Produce Section and there was the nicest looking butternut squash.  How could I resist!!  I saw either a pie or soup in my future!  Searching through my library of cookbooks, I found what I was looking for - thanks to Fannie Farmer!! - a Rich Winter Squash Pie.  Now doesn't that sound yummy!  Of course, that involved running up to get some brandy (I don't drink and my husband is 100% beer man!).  Fortunately, our local 'liquor' store sells really small bottles of liquor and I found a $4.00 bottle of brandy - so a new adventure was born!!  Please note, you do not need a large squash for this recipe.

First step was to bake the squash - very easy!!  Simply cut the squash in half, scope out the seeds and place in a baking dish skin side up (the hard outer shell of the squash) with about 1/2 inch of water.  Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let cool until the squash is easy to handle.

Scoop out the pulp and puree in a blender or a food processor.
 
Doesn't that look pretty!!
 
Using your favorite pie crust recipe or a store bought pie crust - your choice.  Line a 9 inch pie plate.
 
This is such an easy recipe - once you have the squash baked and pureed, you can whip this up in a matter of minutes.
 
Rich Winter Squash Pie
 
Ingredients:
 
1 cup pureed cooked winter squash (see above)
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup white granulated sugar
3 eggs, slightly beaten
3 T Brandy
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp mace
 
Directions:
 
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
 
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until smooth and well blended.
 
 
 
Pour into pie pan.
 
 
Bake at 425 for 10 minutes.  Reduce oven temperature to 300 and bake for an additional 45 to 60 minutes or until the filling is firm.
 
 
(the whole in the middle is where I inserted a toothpick to check for doneness)

Entire Recipe:
 
Rich Winter Squash Pie
 
Ingredients
 
1 cup pureed cooked winter squash (see above)
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup white granulated sugar
3 eggs, slightly beaten
3 T Brandy
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp mace
 
Directions:
 
Preheat oven to 425.
 
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until smooth and well blended.
 
Pour into pie pan.
 
Bake at 425 for 10 minutes.  Reduce oven temperature to 300 and bake for an additional 45 to 60 minutes or until the filling is firm.
 
Let cool on a rack (if you can!!)
 
Enjoy!!
 
Verdict:
 
I thought this would taste like a pumpkin pie.  I was pleasantly surprised - it doesn't.  This is very good.  You get a slight hint of the brandy - it is not overpowering.  This is such an easy pie to make!!  What did my resident pie expert think??  He loved it!!  I definitely will be making this one again.

4 comments:

  1. I have been making this pie for years, from the
    Fannie Farmer cookbook.My whole family loves it and prefers it over pumpkin. The Sweet Potato Pie is just as delicious too. Can't say enough about this fabulous pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a Fannie Farmer cookbook in our very dilapidated house when we bought it 45 years ago. The house is no longer dilapidated, but my cookbook is taped together and stained with many cooking adventures . Best cookbook ever. The only one that doesn’t call for a package of this and a can ot that. Love rich squash pie !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Fannie Farmer cookbook, too!! I agree, best cookbook ever!! And my family loves the Winter Squash pie - I make that in place of pumpkin pie

    ReplyDelete