Thursday, January 14, 2016

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake


 A couple of years ago, I found this adorable heart cookie pan on eBay.  You know how it goes - it is an impulse purchase - you just CAN'T live without it.  So there it sat on my shelf in my kitchen just waiting for the perfect cookie recipe . . .

My son loves the giant chocolate chip cookie cakes that you can buy in almost any grocery store.  I figured SOMEWHERE out in the Internet world there had to be a recipe to make these.  Well, lo and behold, one day I actually stumped on one!!  And the cookie angels sang!!!

So yesterday, being a typical, cold, nasty Ohio winter day when I did not want to venture far from my warm house, I decided today was the day!!  I dusted off the "adorable" heart cookie pan and, thanked the Lord that I had all the ingredients (well, most of the ingredients) to make the giant cookie.  As always, I had to improvise a bit and I will note those with an **   Unfortunately, I have no idea where I found the recipe.  If I ever do, I will give credit to where it is due.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Ingredients
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips** I used 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup white chocolate chips - didn't have so I omitted
Confectioners' sugar, for garnish** omitted
Sweetened cocoa, for garnish** omitted
Sweetened whipped cream, accompaniment** used buttercream frosting instead

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 14-inch, light colored, round pizza pan with parchment paper and grease the parchment paper. **obviously, used a different pan and just greased the pan with butter.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars. Add the eggs, beating well after the addition of each.

In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix with a whisk. Add to the butter mixture, mixing to incorporate, and add the vanilla extract.

Fold in the dark and white chips. ** I only used the dark semi-sweet chips.

Spread across the bottom of the prepared pan and bake until the edges are golden and the cookie is set but the center is still slightly soft, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. (I just left the cookie/cake in the pan)

To serve, sift confectioners' sugar and sweetened cocoa over the top, and cut into wedges. Serve sweetened whipped cream on the side. ** (I decorated it with buttercream icing)  - you can only decorate this with M & M's, add nuts, etc.  

Enjoy!!

Comments:

Oh this is good!!!  I think this is even better than the ones you get in the store.  My resident expert and his son LOVED it.  We have a winner here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment