Thursday, September 14, 2017

Jalapeno Peach Pie

What do you do when you have way too many jalapenos??    Make pie, of course!!

Initially, I had no clue what to do with all my jalapenos.  I really didn't want to make hot pepper jelly since my green peppers weren't doing as well as the jalapenos.  So off I went to the Internet and I found this recipe.

It did require a trip to the grocery store for canned peaches in juice.

This was a very easy pie to make - no peeling of peaches.  I did have to chop and seed the jalapenos (wear gloves!!!!).

Jalapeno Peach Pie

Ingredients:

2 medium sized jalapenos seeded and chopped in small pieces
1 Tbs. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar.
6 cups of well-drained canned peaches or 6 cups of fresh, peeled peaches (if in season)
1 c. brown sugar
1/8 c. peach juice (save it when you drain the peaches) or water
3 TB cornstarch
Your favorite pie crust recipe for double crust
Preheat the oven to 425
Melt the butter over low heat.  Add the jalapenos and saute for a few minutes, then add the brown sugar.  
Allow the mixture to boil and slowly add the peaches and the 1 cup of brown sugar a little bit at a time.
Mix the peach juice (or water) with the cornstarch until it forms a paste, then add it to the peaches and jalapeƱo mixture and mix well.
Bring this to a slow boil, stirring every once in awhile - you want this to thicken up enough to pour into your pie crust.
When the filling has thickened, pour it into the prepared pie crust and cover with the top crust. Trim the edges and crimp the sides together. Make sure you add some decorative vent-holes with a fork–because the filling is already hot!
Place in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes (or until the pie crust looks golden).
Enjoy!! 
Verdict:
My husband loved it.  (of course, adding ice cream always makes pie a lot better).  You can taste the jalapenos and it it a bit "spicy."  I thought it was "interesting."  Will I make it again, probably because my husband liked it a lot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment