Monday, February 25, 2013

My Mom's Cookbook

Maybe I am just getting old, but I don't like those "eBooks."  I have downloaded the "app" from Amazon that lets you look at eBooks on your computer.  I'm sorry it just isn't the same as a good ole book, particularly cookbooks.  How do you pass your eBook down to your kids and grandkids?

Here is my Mother's cookbook:

Yes, it has seen better days!  The cover is missing and it is probably 50 or 60 years old!  Oh, but the things that were made from this book.  And every time I open up this book, it brings back so many good memories of my Mom (she died over 25 years ago).  I love look at the neat handwriting.  She was very meticulous with her handwriting.  Me, I can't even read my own handwriting!!

Sometimes when I am missing Mom, I just get that cookbook down, look through the pages and touch the writing.  Somehow, I feel connected with her.  And, in my mind, I can see her in her kitchen.

Here is her Brownie recipe.  She used to make these, at least, once a week for us as an after school snack.  And she would frost them with chocolate icing.  Boy, does that bring back good memories.  I might make those this afternoon!!  You can tell it was a good recipe because of how splattered the page is!


This is a recipe from my Grandmother - Seafoam Salad.  Without fail, we would have this every Easter.  I now carry on that tradition in my family.  It is hardly legitible in the cookbook.  But, you can tell that it was a very popular recipe, again, by all the splatters.  Fortunately, I copied this recipe over long time ago, so I have a legitible copy!!

So, how does an eBook compare to this?  I think I said this in a post earlier, these old cookbooks are like family albums - so many memories - good memories that you can pass on.  I just can't see how you can do that with an eBook.  Well, this is just one person's opinon.

By the way, I will share this recipes in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment