Wednesday, February 27, 2013

My Mom's Brownie Recipe

As promised, here is my Mom's, Betty Askew, brownie recipe. 

I had to do a few alterations to the recipe.  Her recipe calls for margarine.  We don't use margarine, so I used real butter - it's your choice.  Also, she wrote "2 squares chocolate" - she didn't specify unsweetened or semi- sweet.  So I used semi-sweet.  Again, your choice.  Onto the recipe . . .



Betty Askew's Brownie Recipe

1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 squares chocolate - either unsweetened or semi-sweet
3/4 cup sifted flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl
Melt the (butter or margarine) and chocolates together.

Mix the sugar, eggs and vanilla together.
Add the melted chocolate (butter or margarine) to the sugar/eggs/vanilla mixture.  Stir to completely combine.


Pour into a small baking pan.  

Bake for 30 minutes.
Let cool on a baking rack.

Frosting - YUM!!!

1 square chocolate - either unsweetened or semi-sweet
1 tsp butter
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 1/2 T milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Melt chocolate and butter
Mix confectioner's sugar, milk and vanilla together - add chocolate/butter mixture.
Frost brownies after they have cooled.

Enjoy!!!

Mistake I made:   Yes, I do make mistakes.  I used a rectangle baking pan.  If I remember correctly, my mother used a 8 x 8 square pan.  The brownies sunk in the middle - still edible. 

VERDICT:

These were as good as I remembered!  My husband loved them!! He thought this was one of my better brownie recipes!  These brought back a lot of good memories!  I even poured myself a glass of milk.  Thank you, Mom, for the great recipe - I miss you so much!!

No comments:

Post a Comment