Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Chipmunk Pie??? It's not what you think!

Now doesn't this catch your attention!! And no, it isn't made from those cute, little flurry creatures that scurry around your yard!  Whew!!  I know I live out in the country, but I am not THAT much country!!  It is basically an apple pie with nuts (I am thinking because of the addition of the nuts that the pie got its name).

I found this recipe last year in the book, United States of Pie.  According to the book, the recipe comes from The Delaware Heritage Cookbook

It is really a very simple pie. Takes only a few minutes to whip together and you might already have all the ingredients in your kitchen. 



Chipmunk Pie

Pie crust - I cheated and used Pillsbury Pie Crusts or use your favorite pie crust recipe

2 large eggs
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar (doesn't specify either dark or light - I used light since that is what I had on hand)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
 1 1/2 cups peeled, cored and diced baking apple - I used 2 Granny Smith apples


Preheat oven to 350 F degrees

Place the pie crust over a pie plate and ease it into the plate.  Trim the edges to leave a 1 inch overhang.  Fold the edges over and then decoratively crimp the edges.  Place the pie shell in the refrigerator until the filling is ready.


In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs.  Add the sugars and flour, mix thoroughly.

Add the baking powder and vanilla and continue to stir. Fold in the apple pieces and nuts.

Remove the pie shell from the refrigerator and pour the filling into the shell.   Don't worry the pie filling won't fill the entire pie plate, as it bakes, it does expand - look at the picture at the top!

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the surface of the pie is golden brown and crisp.

Let the pie cool to room temperature (if you can!!).  I bet this is really good with ice cream - YUM!!!

Enjoy! 

Verdict:

We had the pie for dessert last night (with ice cream!!).  It was a huge hit.  Will I be making this again - most definitely!

No comments:

Post a Comment