Monday, December 23, 2013

Swedish Pastry - It is SO easy!!

Just in time for Christmas!! Doesn't this sound wonderful for your Christmas breakfast.

 I found this recipe on the YummyHealthyeasy.com website. Lately I have been on this search for Swedish and German recipes since my background is a combination of both. I thought it would be interesting to make recipes that maybe my ancestors might have enjoyed. Kind of a silly way to get in touch with your heritage . . . enough of that, on to the recipe!!

Swedish Pastry

  Pastry Ingredients:
 1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, softened (I used unsalted butter)
1 Tbsp. cold water

1 cup water
 1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. almond extract

  Frosting Ingredients:
1 tsp. almond extract
2 Tbsp. soft butter
2 Tbsp. water
1-1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar

 Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350ยบ F. Spray a cookie sheet with Pam or a similar cooking spray.

In a small bowl, add 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup softened butter (1 stick) until crumbly.

Add 1 Tbsp. cold water. Form into 2 balls and pat into two 3-inch strips on cookie sheet.


 Bring 1 cup water and 1/2 cup butter to a boil.

Add 2/3 cup flour. Mix until smooth. Add 3 beaten eggs and 1/2 tsp. almond flavoring and combine.

 Spread onto two crusts all the way to the edges.


Bake for 1 hour. Cool your pastry and make your frosting. Combine soft butter, powdered sugar, almond flavoring and water. Add more powdered sugar if needed to get right consistency. Spread on cooled pastry.

 Cut into slices and enjoy!

VERDICT:

I ate a couple of slices - much to my surprise, these are really good.  The crust is nice and flaky.  I was afraid I put the egg and butter mixture on too thick, but it seemed just right.  Now to wait for my "other judges" to come home and get their opinion.  Will I make this again, I think so.  It is pretty easy to make and doesn't require any special ingredients besides the almond extract. I think we have a winner here!

My husband loved it!!  Looks like I will be making this again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment