Monday, September 19, 2016

Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Sauce


I found this recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens Healthy Family Cookbook that my sister-in-law gave to me many years ago when my husband was diagnosed with heart disease.  It is a pretty simple recipe to make and I had most of the ingredients (I did substitute 1 can of mushrooms instead of the fresh mushrooms).

Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Sauce

Ingredients:

3 Skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 t crushed. dried thyme (I didn't have crushed thyme, just dried thyme leaves)
1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped (see note above)
4 t cornstarch
1 cup light dairy sour cream
1/4 t ground sage
pepper to taste

Directions:

1, Rinse and pat dry the chickens breasts.  Place chicken in a large skillet and pour in the chicken broth.    Sprinkle each breast with the dry thyme. Bring the chicken broth to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the skillet and simmer the chicken for about 10 to 12 minutes (so the chicken is no longer pink).


2. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set on a separate plate. For the sauce, add the mushrooms and let simmer while you are preparing the rest of the sauce.  In a small bowl, mix together the sour cream, cornstarch and spices and add to the chicken broth.


3. Cook and stir until the sauce starts to thicken.  Pour over each chicken breast.

I added brown rice and steamed broccoli to complete the meal.


Verdict:

My resident expert, i.e., my husband, loved it.  I thought it was really good for a "lo-cal" meal.  So far I have been really pleased with my "new" diet menus.  We will definitely be seeing this again on our dinner plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment