Monday, October 19, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls

I am trying something new today thanks to my good friend in Oklahoma - Old Camp Cook- cinnamon rolls using sourdough. The sourdough starter is called Spuds - made using mash potato flakes. It makes a very "sweet" sourdough bread. I have been feeding the starter for over a week, so it is very active.

The recipe I am using is Old Camp Cook's basic sourdough recipe.

Bob's Basic Sourdough Recipe

Sugar - 2/3 cup (222 grams)
Vegetable oil - 1/2 cup (120 grams)
1 teaspoon salt (8 grams)
1 cup active starter (273 grams)
1-1/2 cups warm water (364 grams)
6 cups bread flour (810 grams)

I combine all the ingredients to make the dough and let it "proof" overnight. Normally, I put the dough into an oiled plastic bowl, cover the top with saran wrap and a dry dish towel. I place the container in my oven with the oven light on. By morning, the dough has doubled.

I divided the dough into two equal balls, flour my countertop, and knead the dough balls for about a minute. With a rolling pin, I roll the dough into a rectangle, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (6 1/2 T sugar, 1 1/2 T cinnamon). Roll the dough into a jelly roll and cut about 1" "rolls". I have two baking sheets covered with parchment paper. I evenly space the rolls, cover with a dry dish towel and let them rise for about 1 1/2 hours. I will then bake them at 325 for about 35 to 40 minutes. I will take pictures of the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment