Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Blueberry Cheese Pie

Trust me!!!  This is even better than it looks!!  And it is super easy to make!!  I did cheat and use a store bought graham cracker crust (I know - oh the horror!!!).
I found this recipe in Melissa's Southern Cookbook.  The recipe is entitled "Granma's Famous Blueberry Icebox Pie."  I made this pie for Memorial Day and it was a HUGE hit and I thought it would be perfect for the 4th.  BUT, this time I thought I would make a few changes . . .

The recipe calls for 2 8 ounce packages of soft cream cheese.  Well, I have a recipe from Mary Jane Toth's Cheesmaker's Journal for Farmer's Cheese which is excellent!!!  Best goat's milk cheese I have ever tasted.  So I made a batch of the Farmer's Cheese (using goat's milk) and used that in the recipe instead of the cream cheese.  The pie was superb!!!!

Granma's Icebox Blueberry Pie by Melissa

Ingredients:

1 graham cracker pie crust (she does include a recipe or you can buy one from the store)
2  8 oz packages of softened cream cheese (or goat's milk farmer's cheese)
1 (2.6 ounce) box Dream Whip (use both envelopes)

1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 18 oz blueberry pie filling

Farmer's Goat's Milk cheese - this is the BEST goat's milk cheese recipe around!!!



In a medium mixing bowl, using a mixer add the cream cheese/farmer's cheese, Dream Whip, cream, powdered sugar, vanilla and almond extracts.


Beat together for about 2 minutes.

Spoon the mixture into your pie crust and spread evenly around.

Top with the pie filling.


Put the pie in the refrigerator for about 4 hours before serving.

Entire Recipe:

Granma's Icebox Blueberry Pie by Melissa

Ingredients:

1 graham cracker pie crust (she does include a recipe to make your own or you can buy one from the store)
2  8 oz packages of softened cream cheese (or goat's milk farmer's cheese)
1 (2.6 ounce) box Dream Whip (use both envelopes
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 18 oz blueberry pie filling

In a medium mixing bowl, using a mixer add the cream cheese/farmer's cheese, Dream Whip, cream, powdered sugar, vanilla and almond extracts.

Beat together for about 2 minutes.

Spoon the mixture into your pie crust and spread evenly around.

Top with the pie filling.

Put the pie in the refrigerator for about 4 hours before serving.

ENJOY!!!

Comments:

As I mentioned before, I made this for Memorial Day and it was a HUGE hit. So this is definitely a keeper recipe.  And I think you could use almost any pie filling for the topping - strawberries, cherries, blackberries, etc.  Excellent recipe!!!

UPDATE:

I made this for Labor Day, but used cherry pie filling instead of the blueberry pie filling - OMG - it was wonderful!!  Not sure which one I like best.  I think the cherry is the best since my husband asked me to make him another one with the cherry pie filling.



No comments:

Post a Comment