Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas Cookies!

I am taking a break from bread baking and getting into the holiday spirit with Christmas cookies (of course, I am not going anywhere the bathroom scale until January 1!).

I got out my Mom's old cookbook. You can tell it has been used many times - the edges are worn, a lot of the pages are stained. I haven't brought out that cookbook for awhile. A cousin (from my Mother's side) got in touch with me through Facebook. The last time I saw her, I was in my teens (wish I could say that was only a couple of years ago!), but it has probably been 35 to 40 years ago. Anyway, I have been corresponding with my Aunt (my Mom's only sister) through my cousin. There have been a lot of memories this correspondence has brought up and made me think of the cookbook. There is a Swedish Christmas Cookie recipe in there that, according to my Mom, was very similar to her Grandma Lundgren's cookie recipe (she would be my Great Grandmother). The recipe is sort of a fruit-cake cookie - it uses Citron and a bunch of spices (Cinnamon, Cloves, and Allspice) and you have to let the cookies "ripen" in a cookie tin. I made the cookies yesterday and they are now safely tucked in a cookie tin - though I've had stolen one or two to make sure they tasted alright.

I mentioned the cookie recipe to my good friend Old Camp Cook (someday I have to meet this incredible man!!!). He sent me a link to a website with International Christmas Cookies - what fun is that!!! Today, I made a Norwegian Christmas Cookie. As I said I am not going anywhere near the bathroom scale until after the Holidays!

If anyone is interested in any of the recipes, drop me a line at Diane@b-dgoats.com and I will send you a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment