Saturday, February 27, 2010

Cinnamon Raisin Bread


I wish you could smell my house - it smells heavenly!  I just took these two loaves of Cinnamon Raisin bread out of the oven. 

I used Bob's Basic Sourdough Recipe.  I believe it is posted in an earlier blog - I used it to make the Cinnamon Rolls (do I notice a pattern here?).  I used my Spuds Sourdough Starter to make this bread.  The Spuds Starter was made using instant potato flakes and makes a "sweet" starter.  Excellent for cinnamon rolls (or bread). 

I made the dough following his recipe. Combine the starter, flour, warm water, sugar, and vegetable oil.  Let it sit overnight in a warm place.  In the morning, instead of shaping the dough into loaves, I rolled them out into a rectangle and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and raisins (I believe Bob also adds chopped pecans).  The dough is then rolled up in jelly roll fashion and put into a prepared loaf pan.  This is allowed to rise for 3 to 4 hours in a warm place. 

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  The loaves are baked for 30 to 35 minutes.  The hardest part is waiting for them to cool down.  This bread is excellent for making french toast - YUM!  Sorry Peter Reinhardt, but I think this is the better cinnamon bread recipe!

2 comments:

  1. This looks beautiful!! And soft as a baby's butt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe does make a really soft bread - it melts in your mouth!

    ReplyDelete