Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Cupcake Experiment

Cupcakes seem to be the latest rage.  So I thought I would give it a try and picked up a couple cupcake books at our local library

My first cupcakes are from a recipe in Martha Stewart's Cupcake book, Chocolate Chip Cupcakes. The recipe is supposed to make 30 cupcakes, but I decided to be clumsy today and dropped the second pan. I guess this happens to the best of the cooks!


These are very moist cupcakes because you use whipped egg whites instead of the whole egg. The whipped eggs also make the cupcakes very light and fluffy. So be very gentle when you fold the egg whites into the batter because you don't want to lose that fluffiness. My husband and I tasted one without icing and they are very good! So this is definitely a keeper recipe.

The icing is to die for! It made with cocoa powder, confectioner's sugar, chocolate and real butter - don't think you will find this on the Weight Watcher's menu!

2 comments:

  1. I have never tried Martha Stewart's recipes. I'm so glad to hear the cupcakes came out delicious. I am a foodie just like you and love to learn and experiment. I am a mother and a displaced worker (used to be a corp software trainer) but me and my girlfriends are starting up something called The Culinary Institute of My Own Damn Kitchen and are looking for fellow foodies to follow along and/or join us! You seem like you might enjoy. If anything, we can learn from eachother. You might be entertained on my adventures in making coffee. I will have to try this cupcake recipe sometime. It sounds delicious!

    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Michelle
    The Culinary Institute of My Own Damn Kitchen
    myowndamnkitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle!

    I will definitely look up your blog! And I love the name! My husband sometimes refers to me as the mad scientist! Fortunately, we live on a farm, so my mistakes go to the chickens which will eat almost anything!

    Your situation sounds like mine (only 18 years later!). I used to work for a huge corporation and did computer training in all our district offies. I was "downsized" out!

    Good luck with your blog!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete