Friday, February 19, 2010

Mystery of the Dark Crusts solved!

Remember my main complaint about Martha Stewart's Classic White bread and the dark crusts.  Well, Sherlock, I believe we have solved the mystery. 

The other day I ran out of flour, so off to Kroger's I went.  Fortunately, for me, their flour is on sale $1.32 for 5 pounds (I know it is cheaper at Walmart, but I was at Kroger's not Walmart).  BUT, Kroger's was out of the bleached All-Purpose flour.  So I bought several bags of the unbleached All-Purpose flour.

The next day, I made another batch of Martha's Classic White bread.  The loaves came out beautiful!  I just sat there and marvelled at my creation!  Then I realized I had used unbleached flour - mystery solved.  Who would have thought using bleached flour would make the crusts dark!  So if you like nice golden crusts, the next time you make Martha's Classic White bread, use UNBLEACHED All Purpose flour.  I am so proud of myself (as I pat myself on the back!)

1 comment: