Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Martha Stewart's Rye Bread Recipe

Today I am trying Martha's Rye bread recipe.  I do think my Sour Rye will be the better bread.  The bread is now doing its first rise in the oven (I use the oven sometimes to do my proofing if the house is cold - just turn on the oven light and put the covered bowl with the dough in on the first rack).  I have my doubts about this bread.  The dough seems heavy - very hard to knead.  I am curious to see what kind of rise I get out it.

Yesterday, I tried her Classic White bread again.  This time I accidentally used Salted butter instead of Unsalted.  Everything went well, except I thought the bread tasted very salty.  The recipe does call for Unsalted butter.

I read an article in Cook's Country magazine about using Salted versus Unsalted butter.  According to the article you should stick with Unsalted (unless the recipe specifically asks for salted butter).  There is no standard for how much salt the manufacturers put in the butter.  So one brand might be more saltier than another.  It is just easier for you to add how much or how little salt you want.  I do feel the Salted butter did affect the taste of the bread.  Today, I used Unsalted butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment