Thursday, January 28, 2010

Martha Stewart's Bread -Verdict

The dough was really easy to work with.  I got good rises and a nice oven spring.  I did cut back on the baking time by 5 minutes - with 10 minutes left, the top crusts looked dark, so I covered them with aluminium foil.  I did take their internal temps when I took them out 5 minutes early and both showed over 200 degrees.  So they were definitely done.  It does have a very crumb and it does taste like white bread.  The bread I am comparing it to is my Portugese Sweet Bread which is definitely the better bread (da da I am the winner!)  I will have my husband and son try it tonight and get an unbiased opinion. 

The next bread I would like to try is in Julia Child's book, From Julia Child's Kitchen.  Apparently, she met with a bread baker in French and translated several of his French recipes into English.  The recipe that I want to try is called French Sandwich bread.  You are supposed to bake it in a pullman bread loaf (a bread loaf pan with a top - makes square bread).  I can't afford those, so I am going to improvise - just use my regular loaf pans and put a cookie sheet on top.

Stay tuned for further adventures!



No comments:

Post a Comment