Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Goat's Milk Yogurt

FINALLY, I have made goat's milk yogurt!!  Yippee!  If you only knew how long I have been working at this!  Well, it hasn't been THAT long - just a month or two, but it seems like ages!  Let's just say that my chickens have been eating a lot of failed yogurt batches!!  The funny thing is they seemed to be enjoying it!!

This recipe should work with whole cow's milk.  I haven't tried it yet with pasteurized store bought milk yet. That is the next step.  BUT it actually tastes and has the consistency of yogust - WOO HOO!!  I did it!! 
\


And here is the "award-winning" recipe . . . (ok, not award winning but the one that worked!!)

**for the first batch, I bought commercial yogurt (Chobani) and used that as my starter.  After that, I saved 2 T from the current batch to use in the next batch.

Homemade Yogurt

1 quart whole milk either goat or cow or sheep (if you have one!)
2 T yogurt ** (see above!)
1/2 cup powdered milk (for goat's milk only!!)

Heat the milk to 185 degrees in a medium size pan
Remove pan from heat and let milk cool down to 115 degrees.
Pour milk into a separate container - I used a small casserole dish with a glass cover
Add yogurt (and powdered milk if using goat's milk - this makes a "thicker" yogurt) and cover
Place in a warm spot where the milk should stay at an even 115 degrees for the next 6 to 8 hours.
After 6 to 8 hours, the milk should have a custard like consistency.  this is the "curd".
Put the container in the refrigerator for 12 hours.  The curd will harden up.
After 12 hours, line a colander with two layers of cheese cloth and pour the curd into the colander, let drain for several hours.
You now have yogurt - it's a miracle!!

I added 1 T spoon of honey and some fruit - YUM!! 

REMEMBER save 2 T for your next batch!!

Now wasn't that simple!!  And is it every good!!  You will never go back to store bought again!!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment