Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever? OK!

We have a new challenge!!  Don't you just love a challenge!!  If you have been following this blog, you KNOW I love a challenge.  Well, I picked up a book yesterday at my local library.  I will review a cookbook through the library before I buy it so I can see if it is worthwhile before spending my precious money.  We don't have a lot of money and I don't want to waste it on a useless cookbook. 

Yesterday I picked up a copy of Savory Sweet Life by Alice Currah.  I have read a lot about the book and I do follow her blog.  AND she does get glowing reviews from Ree Drummond (aka The Pioneer Woman).  So I figured the cookbook has got to be good.  Well, the very last recipe is titled "The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever."  Kind of a bold statement, if you ask me!  But, it is a free country and we do allow freedom of speech.  I have nothing pressing to do today so . . .  I accept your challenge Alice.  Let's see if these are in fact the BEST chocolate chip cookie known to mankind!

The recipe . . . (fortunately you should have all the ingredients in your kitchen)

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter - at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp sea salt (if you don't have sea salt, just use regular salt)
2 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 360 degrees.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Using an electric mixer, cream the butter, gradulated sugar and brown sugar togeter on medium high for 3 minutes, until nice and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
Add the vanilla and mix for 2 more minutes.
Reduce the mixer to medium low and add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. 
When the dough has absorb the dry ingredients, stir in the chocolate chip and mix until they have been distributed pretty evenly.
Drop 2 tablespoons of dough onto the cookie sheet, spacing them 2 inches apart.
Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges are nice and golden brown. 
Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and let the cookies cool for 2 minutes. 
Slide the parchment paper with the cookie still on top onto a rack to cool completely.



SO, now the test . . . are these the best chocolate chip cookies you have ever had in the whole wide world??? Now be honest!!

I will let my chocolate chip "expert" (aka my husband) decide.  Supposedly he married me because of my chocolate chip cookies.  So we will see what he thinks.  Stay tuned!!

My Verdict:

Disappointing.  Very crunchy.  My husband is not going to like these at all - he doesn't like crunchy cookies.  The best chocolate chip cookie EVER - I doubt it!  I think the 360 degree temperature is too high.  The cookies come out looking overcooked.  If I tried this recipe again, I will bake them at 350 instead of 360.  I think my chocolate chip recipe is much better than this one.  I have a feeling the chickens will be having chocolate chip cookies for dinner tonight!

Update

My husband didn't like them.  He doesn't like "crunchy" cookies.  So if I bake these again, I think I will bake them at 350 and maybe move the rack down to the middle of the oven.  I do think my recipe is a lot better than hers. Sorry Alice, you lose!


No comments:

Post a Comment