Monday, August 20, 2012

Julia Child's Brownies

I am on a Julie Child kick!  Ever since I found out that her birthday was last week, I have been baking "Julia."  So today I am making her "famous" brownies which have been titled "the best brownies ever made."  Ok - that sounds like a challenge!  So let's see how good these actually are!  To be honest, I am not even sure which one of her cookbooks this recipe is found in - it is certainly not in her earlier books.

You will probably have to run to the store to get a few of the ingredients - sorry about that!  But, supposedly these brownies are worth it.

Here is the recipe:

Julia Child's Brownies

1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
8 ounces unsalted butter (2 sticks)
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped*
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped*
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs at room temperature

* you can find these where they have the chocolate chips

Directions:

Place the rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.

Melt the butter and chocolates together in a microwave in a large bowl or over a double boiler.


Add one cup of sugar to the butter/chocolate mixture and stir for 30 seconds.  Stir in the vanilla.

Mix the remaining sugar and the four eggs in an electric mixer for a few seconds until just combined.

Pour half of the sugar/egg mixture into the chocolate mixture, stirring with a rubber spatula so that the eggs don't set from the heat.

Whip the remaining sugar and eggs in the electric mixer for an additional 3 minutes.

Using the rubber spatula, gently fold the remaining eggs into the chocolate mixture.

After the eggs have been completely mixed in, fold in the flour.

Pour the batter into a non-buttered 9 inch square baking pan.


Bake the brownies for 22 to 26 minutes.  They should rise a little and the top will look dark and dry. 

Make a small cut in the center of the brownies after 22 minutes to check for doneness.  They will be perfect if they are just barely set and still gooey.

Remove from the oven and cool in the pan on a rack.



ENJOY!! I bet these would be excellent with ice cream!!

Bon Appetit!

VERDICT

My husband hasn't tried them yet.  They are very moist, almost to the point of being crumbly.  Being the best brownie I have ever tasted  . . . well, I won't go that far!!  But, they are good.  Whether or not I would make them again, not sure.  I am not entirely pleased with the texture, almost too moist for me,  I will let you know what my husband thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment