Friday, November 22, 2013

Ground Beef Pot


I found this recipe in the Authentic German Homestyle Recipes by Gini Youngkrantz.  Do you ever have one of those days where you have no idea what you are going to make for dinner.  You are in such a rut and nothing sounds any good.  I just bought this book and it was sitting on my kitchen counter.  So I opened up the book and this was the recipe that "miraculously" appeared.  Obviously, it was meant to be!!  AND, as luck would have it, I had all the ingredients except the thyme, so I substitute some basil.

I did change a few of her quantities and I will note them below with an **

Ground Beef Pot

Ingredients:

**1/2 pound ground beef (I used 1 pound of ground beef)
1 medium onion diced
3 T tomato paste
** 3/4 c red wine (I used 1 cup of Pinot Noir red wine)
2 c cooked white rice
1 can drained peas (8 oz)
**3 T parmesan cheese (not really a change - I had the shredded parmesan cheese, not the powdered)
4 T whipping cream
3 T butter
salt, pepper and thyme to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375
Brown the beef and drain off the fat.
Add the onion and saute until brown, add the tomato paste, red wine, salt, pepper and a dash of thyme.  Stir until mixed.
Remove pan from heat.  Add the cooked rice and drained peas, mix thoroughly.

Pour into a casserole dish.  Drizzle with the whipping cream.  Dot with the butter and sprinkle the parmesan cheese over it.


Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.

VERDICT:

OH MY was this good!!!  I was a little skeptical with the whipping cream being drizzled over the whole mixture, that just didn't seem to fit.  But this is definitely a keeper recipe.  My husband loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment