Friday, November 8, 2013

Sauerkraut Soup

Not sure how I stumbled upon this recipe but is sounded interesting.  It is a Taste of Home recipe.  My husband loves sauerkraut so I knew this would be a winner and it was.  He had two bowlfuls last night for dinner.

I did modify the recipe a little.  I will make my notes below:

Ingredients

1 ld Polish sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slice
5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes (I used the new or red potatoes, so I didn't peel them)
2 medium onions, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 cans (14 1/2 oz each) chicken broth**
1 32 oz can of sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste

In a large pan, add the sausage, potatoes, onions, carrots and chicken broth.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.  Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until potatoes are tender (it took mine about 20 minutes)


Add the rinsed and drained sauerkraut and tomato paste.

**This makes a fairly thick soup.  So I added another can of chicken broth.

Cover and simmer for another 20 to 25 minutes.  It still seemed thick, I almost added a 5th can of chicken broth.  When I make this next time, I am going to add 5 cans of chicken broth.

As I said above, my husband LOVED this soup.  So this is definitely a keeper recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment