Friday, November 22, 2013

Sweet Potato Pie

Much to my amazement, I don't think I have ever had Sweet Potato Pie!  In all my years on this earth, that is one thing I have never had.  If I did, it didn't make a lasting impression!  I found this recipe on the Just  A Pinch website and this is Cherie Hammond's recipe - thank you Cherie for the great recipe!!

It is so easy to make!!

Sweet Potato Pie

Ingredients

2 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed (about 3 medium sized potatoes)
1 1/2 cup white sugar
2 T flour
1 can evaporated milk (5 ox.), divided
1 egg, slighly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 9" pie crust, unbaked.

Glzse
1/2 c white sugar
1 1/4 t flour
2 T butter, melted (I used unsalted)
2 T evaporated milk (from the can above)
**1/4 c pecan halves - this is optional - I did not use them

Directions

I steamed the sweet potatoes in a large pot with a steamer;  Add about 2 inches of water and cover.  Steam over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Let the potatoes cool.  Peel, slice and mash in a bowl.

In another bowl, combine the sugar, flour, milk (be sure to set aside the 2 T of milk for the glaze), egg and vanilla.

Mix in the mashed sweet potatoes and pour into the pie shell.



For the glaze, combine the sugar, flour, melted butter and 2 T milk.  Drizzle over the sweet potato pie.  If desire, you can garnish with the pecan halves - I omitted this - my family is not a huge nut fan.

Bake for 1 hour or until crust is golden brown.  I probably should have baked my pie for about 50 to 55 minutes because it looks like my crust got a little too brown!!  The glaze looked like it cracked a bit, too.
VERDICT:

It was really good!!  Will I make this again?  Definitely - YES!!  The glaze does add a lot to the pie.  My top judge - my husband - loved it too.  So we have another winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment