Wednesday, November 27, 2013

My Corn Pudding Recipe

Do you have a recipe that you have to make EVERY holiday without fail?  This recipe is tradition in our household.  My mother-in-law, I guess, started the tradition and I now follow in her footsteps.  This is her recipe.  I have to make this every Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.  And I used to make extra for my Father to take back home with him to his apartment.

It really isn't a pudding more like a souffle.  It is adapted from the Joy of Cooking Cookbook, the 1953 version.  I think the current Anniversary edition has a completely different recipe.

Corn Pudding

Ingredients
2 cans of whole corn drained (save the liquid)
2 T butter
2 T flour
1/2 cup half n half cream
2 T white sugar
2 eggs (separate yolks from whites)
1/4 tsp paprika

Directions

Drain the contents of the 2 cans of cors saving 1/2 cup of the liquid
Melt the 2 T of butter and stir in the 2 T of flour
Combine 1/2 cup of the half cream with the 1/2 cup of corn liquid
Stir in slowly to the butter/flour mixture to create a sauce
When the sauce is smooth and boiling, stir in the drained corn and add 2 T sugar.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat,
Add two egg yolks. (whip the egg whites separately until they form stiff peaks)
Stir and cook until the corn mixture thickens.
Add the paprika
Remove from heat.
Fold in  the whipped eggs whites

Bake the pudding in an ungreased casserole dish in a 325 oven for 10 minutes.
Increase the oven to 350 and bake for an additional 20 minutes.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment