Friday, November 1, 2013

Sauerkraut Quiche

Trust me . . . this is really good - I know it doesn't sound like it would be good, but it is!!   It isn't sour at all. Even if you are not a huge fan of sauerkraut, I think you will like this.  And you don't need any special equipment.  The recipe calls for a quiche pan, I don't have one and just used a regular pie pan which worked out just fine.

I found this recipe on the website www.germancookbooks.com.  I have been on a mission to learn how to master german cooking - long story - I won't bore you.  I stumbled upon this recipe and thought I would give it a try because my husband loves sauerkraut.


Sauerkraut Quiche

Ingredients

1 sheet frozen puff pastry (see note below)
3/4 pound leeks
1 14 oz. can sauerkraut
1 1/2 T vegetable or olive oil
8 oz. diced ham
1 cup whipping cream (not HEAVY - just regular whipping cream)
2 1/2 T sour cream
3 eggs
nutmeg, salt and pepper to season

Preheat oven to 400
Flour a counter top and place the puff pastry on the counter to let is thaw.
Stir the sour cream into the whipping cream and set it aside.
Drain the sauerkraut in a colander and slice the leeks into 1/2 inch slices.
After about 30 minutes, pour the oil into a frying pan and saute the sauerkraut and leeks for about 8 to 10 minutes.  Add the ham. (this makes your house smell WONDERFUL!!)
Meanwhile, unfold the thawed puff pastry and roll it out to fit your pie pan (or quiche pan, if using one).  Line the pan with the dough.
Pour the sauerkraut mixture into the pan, spreading it evenly.

Add the 3 eggs to the whipping cream mixture, beat to mix.  Season with salt, pepper and the nutmeg.
Pour evenly over the sauerkraut mixture.
NOTE:  I put the pie pan on a baking sheet in case any of the quiche spilled over while baking so it won't make a mess in the oven.

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.

This is definitely a keeper recipe!  I served a small salad with this.  My husband loved it!!  Of course, he loves anything with sauerkraut.

NOTES:  A couple of things I am going to do differently the next time I make the recipe.  First, I think I will use a regular pie crust.  The puff pastry did not add much taste to the quiche.  Also, I thought adding a 1/2 cup of cooked potatoes might be nice - not necessary, but I might give that a try next time.  Overall, it was really good and I am definitely going to make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment