Thursday, January 16, 2014

Paula Dean's Oatmeal Cookies

The search for the "Perfect" Oatmeal cookie continues.  At least, the homemade Oatmeal cookie.  I have tried a couple of recipes on here.  And they all have been "good" but not GREAT.  You know what I mean - the cookie that just makes you want to eat more.  So I figured if anyone could make a "Perfect" oatmeal cookie, Paula could probably come pretty close.  And I have had really good success with all her recipes in the past.

I found this recipe in her book, Kitchen Classics.

Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature (I always use unsalted)
1 cup white granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg (she says this is optional - but I put it in)
2 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats - I just had old-fashioned oats - can't see that would make any difference
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts (I omitted this because my husband is not a big nut fan)
1 cup raisins

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Lightly grease two baking sheets with Pam or something similar.
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with the two sugars until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs one at a time.
Add the vanilla.

In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and nutmeg.  Add this to the creamed mixture.

Stir in the oats, nuts (if adding) and raisins.
Drop the dough by heaping 2 tablespoons on the greased baking sheets.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes (or until golden brown).  Cool on rack.

I thought they were pretty good. Are they the "Perfect" oatmeal cookie?  Maybe . . . maybe not but pretty close.  Now I have to wait for my local Oatmeal Cookie expert's opinion (my husband).

VERDICT:

My Resident Oatmeal Cookie Expert loved them!!  So this is a keeper recipe.  At least, the recipe I will be using for the time being.  They are good.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment