Monday, January 13, 2014

Paula Dean's Piggy Pudding

Doesn't this make you want to sing "O bring us some figgy pudding, O bring us some figgy pudding, O bring us some figgy pudding . . . ."  Ok, it's Monday, what do you expect!!

I saw this recipe in her book, Paula Dean's Kitchen Classics and the title of the recipe caught my attention.  Who ever heard of a pig making pudding (might make a good children's book . . . hmmm!!).  Read the recipe, seemed easy enough, but did require a visit to my local grocery store.  I thought this would be perfect for my husband's breakfast in the morning.  I run out of ideas for breakfast, don't you??  As always, I had to make some modifications which will be noted with **:

Paula Dean's Piggy Pudding

Ingredients:

16 link pork sausages ** (I could find packages with only 14 sausages and didn't feel like buying 2 packages for the other 2 sausages to make up the 16)
4 to 5 tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 7 1/2 ounce package corn bread mix (prepare batter according to the directions on the box) ** I couldn't find a corn bread mix that was 7 1/2 ounces, the best I could find was the Jiffy Corn Muffin mix which was 8 1/2 ounces).

Preheat oven to 450

Cook the sausages until done, piercing with fork to let all the grease out.  Drain.

Arrange the sausages in a 9 inch square baking dish** I think since I only used 14 sausages, a smaller baking dish would have been more suitable - oh well!!

Layer the apples on top of the sausages.

Pour the corn bread batter over all. (a smaller dish would have probably been better!)

Bake for approximately 30.  Serve with warm pancake syrup - YUM!!!

Now to wait to see what my number one judge (my husband) thinks!  It sure smells good!

VERDICT:

My husband LOVED it!!!  In fact, he wanted me to put it in his lunch today.  So this is definitely a keeper recipe!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment