Friday, January 17, 2014

Scandinavian Rye Bread

It is your typical dreary, wintry day in Ohio and the weatherman is predicting snow all day.  So what better thing to do than try out a new recipe!!  And I have been searching for a good rye bread recipe.

I found this recipe in a book by Pat Sinclair called Scandinavian Classic Baking.  Scanning over the ingredients - WHEW!! I had them all so no need to make a dash to the grocery store.  I don't do snow, so fortunately I can experiment today!!  So the search for the perfect rye bread recipe starts . . .

Ingredients

2 cups 2% milk
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 T dark molasses, divided
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (I used Crisco butter flavored because that is all I had)
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast or 1 .25 ounce pkg of active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (105 to 115F)
1 1/2 cups rye flour
6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
1 T water

Directions
Combine the milk, brown sugar, 1/2 cup molasses, and shortening into a medium sauce pan and heat until small bubbles form around the edge of the pan - roughly 2 to 3 minutes.  Remove the pan and let cool to 115F.  The shortening does not need to melt.  Pour mixture into the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer (like a kitchenaid or something similar).



Sprinkle the yeast on top of warm water and stir.  Let sit for about 5 minutes.


Add the yeast, the rye flour and 3 cups of the all-purpose flour to milk, shortening, molasses mixture.  Beat for about 3 minutes on medium speed with a dough hook.

Add 3 more cups of the all-purpose flour or enough to make a soft dough.

Place the dough on a well-floured surface and knead for about 8 to 10 minutes.  Add more flour as needed until the dough is smooth and elastic.  (The dough feels really nice to knead - a good sign!)

To determine whether the dough has been sufficiently kneaded, place the dough on your counter top, pull both ends gently and release. The dough should be smooth and elalstic, spring back and no longer sticky.

Spray a bowl with cooking spray (like Pam).  Shape the dough into a ball shape.  Place the dough into the bowl.

 Turn the dough over coating on all sides.  Cover the bowl loosely with saran wrap.  Let the dough rise in a warm place.  I usually let my dough rise in my oven with the oven light on.  Let the dough rise until double in size, roughly 1 hour.

When it has doubled, poke the dough with your two fingers - if your imprint stays, it is ready..

Grease two 9" x 5" loaf pans.  Punch down the dough (this great for little kids to do  if you have them!!).  Place the dough on a floured surface and cut the dough into 2 pieces.

Roll out the dough into a 14" x 9 rectangle.

If the dough becomes difficult to work with, cover it and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes to relax the gluten.  Roll the dough up from the short side and pinch the ends to seal it.  Place in a greased pan with the seam side on the bottom, folding the ends under.

Repeat with the second loaf.  Cover each loaf loosely with saran wrap.

Let the loaves rise in a warm place (again I use my oven with the oven light on) about 30 to 45 minutes.

Remove the pans from the oven.  Heat your oven to 375F.  Combine the remaining 2 T of molasses and 1 T of water and brush the tops of the loaves.  Using a sharp knife, make 3 diagonal slashes on top of each loaf about 1/2" deep.

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until dark brown and loaves sound hollow when thumped.  Using an instant read thermometer, the temperature of the loaves should read 185F or higher.

Cool the loaves in the pans for 5 minutes before removing.

 Let cool another 30 minutes before slicing (if you can!!)  That's the hard part!!

ENJOY!!!

Verdict:

I haven't tasted them yet BUT when removing them from the pans I could tell they are very soft not hard like a brick.  So that is a good sign!!  I might sneak a slice before my husband comes home.  The house does smell wonderful!

Both my husband and I had a slice of the bread tonight.  Oh yes, this is definitely a keeper recipe.  It is a very light rye bread.  So if you are looking for a dark rye or a jewish rye, this is not the bread for you.  But I was very pleased with this recipe.  As I said before, I have been looking for rye bread recipes that don't turn into bricks.  This is the first one that I found that worked!!  YEAH!!  I am definitely going to make this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment