Friday, January 24, 2014

Paula Deen's Apple Pie



In honor of "National Pie Day" (who knew there was such a day!!), I decided to make my husband an apple pie.  I figured if anyone knew how to make a good apple pie, it would be Paula Deen.  So far, all the recipes I have tried of hers have been exceptional, so why should this be any different?  Well, Paula, you let me down on this one!!

I do have admit it does look really good and this was my first attempt at doing a pie with a lattice top.  I will post her recipe as I made it and will mark with ** what I think should be changed to make this a better pie.

Paula Deen's Apple Pie

2 unbaked 9 inch prepared pie crusts (use your favorite recipe or cheat like I did and use Pillsbury pie crusts)

3 pounds of apples - I used Granny Smith apples - about 6 to 8 apples
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3 T flour
2 t ground cinnamon
2 t ground nutmeg ** too much nutmeg!!!  I would only 1/2 t or maybe even 1 tsp this ruined the pie!!
1 t ground ginger ** I would omit this completely - did nothing to the pie
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 T cold butter. cut into tiny pieces
milk to brush the top of pie
cinnamon sugar for sprinkling the top of the pie

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375F.

Line pie pan with the dough, cover with parchment paper or aluminium foil, weigh down with pie weights or beans.  Bake for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepared the filling. Peel, core and slice the apples into thin slices.

Mix together the brown sugar, flour, spices, and vanilla.    Add to the apples and make sure all the slices are evenly coated.
By now the crust should be done.  Remove from oven, remove pie weights, and take off parchment paper/foil.  Fill the crust with the apple mixture and dot with the butter pieces.

Roll out the second pie crust and cut 1/2 inch slices for the lattice work.

Brush the top of the lattice work with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Bake for 45 to 55 minutes until the top is nicely golden brown and the juices are bubbly.

VERDICT:

It makes a really pretty looking pie BUT way too much nutmeg.  That is all you taste when you bite into a piece.  The nutmeg ruins the pie.  Will I make this again?  Maybe . . . I think I might but I will reduce the nutmeg like I noted above and omit the ginger. I was very disappointed in this pie as Paula had wrote it.

No comments:

Post a Comment